Saturday, August 2, 2008

Bair Gutsman 2008 - Been There, Done That, Got The T-Shirt


This is a follow-up to a previous post.

On the left I'm at about 270 lbs, on the right I'm down to almost 250 lbs.


I did it! I survived! It took me about 4 hours and 40 minutes. I'm not sure what my official time was, but I'll post it when I see it on their website. If I ever do it again I need a lot more training on the steep uphill climbing and it would be good to weigh another 20 or 30 pounds less. I did well in the beginning, but I slowed to a shuffle for the last hour of uphill and got passed by quite a few people. I was blessed to have people show up who knew where they were going right when I came to the fern forest. Thanks Kevin! Also, I made good time coming down the road when another runner caught up to me and we stared talking and jogging together. Thanks Rich, I did much better than I would have if you hadn't showed up.

If you are thinking about running it, I'd get a good guide and scout the trail before and do lots of hiking to train for it. Running on a level surface or slight incline won't prepare you for what you are going to face.

I really liked the "SportBeans" chew a bean, drink some water, instant gatorade.

At the end I was sure I would never be so stupid as to try it again, but I'm starting to think I may be that stupid.

Feel free to comment, let me know your experience with the Bair Gutsman or questions you have about the race.


CONQUER THYSELF


No comments: